Sorry guys I’ve been down with a cold, and so these notes are somewhat limited.
So as an experience in reading the Bible together;
Try reading Mark 4:1-9 out loud.
Then stop and spend some time talking about what the story (parable) says.
- Look at it as if it’s a painting on the wall.
- What questions come to mind ? (Don’t try to answer all of them).
- What details do you notice ?
- Is it about the sower ? The Seeds ? The Harvest ?
- What do you think ?
Now read it again out loud – use it as a mirror to look at yourself.
This time spend some time asking God what this story tells you about yourself.
- What emotions go on in you when you read it.
- Do you see yourself as seeds ?
- or the Sower ? Or the ground ?
- What kind of ground is your life ?
- Can you do anything about it ?
Share your impressions, you may want to pray together.
Yes – You guessed it. Now read it a third time – this time using the story as a window to look at our world.
What does this story tell you about family, your workplace, your friends ?
Now you’ve done all that, if you’re feeling frustrated read Mark 1:10-13. Jesus seems to say that the point of a parable is that some won’t get it !
Does that shock or surprise you ?
Now you have permission to read Jesus’ explanation. You’ll find it in Mark 4:14-20.
Note the irony here. This story actually tells us about how stories like this work ! It’s kind of like the movie Inception – a story within a story about how stories work.
May God grant you wisdom and courage as you read, talk and pray together